The Novels and Letters of Jane Austen (12 Volumes)
Winchester Edition, 1906.
With colored illustrations by C.E. and H.M. Brock.
#640 of 1250 copies of this edition
New York & Philadelphia, Frank S. Holby,
Very Good Condition
This 1906 edition of Jane Austen's works is edited by Brimley Johnson with an introduction by William Lyon Phelps, Lampson Professor of English Literature, Yale University. With colored illustrations by C.E. and H.M. Brock.
These are hardcover volumes in brown cloth with brown paper labels, all of which are intact. Eleven of the volumes include color illustrations by the Brock brothers. Also included are picture of Jane Austen's residences in Bath and Winchester, her burial place inside Winchester Cathedral, and facsimiles of an autograph letter and the title-page of the first edition of Sense and Sensibility. Several volumes have slight fraying at the top of the spines and shelf wear at the bottom of the spines. Overall in very good condition; please see notes below and photographs.
- Vol 1: Sense & Sensibility, Part 1; some uncut pages
- Vol 2; Sense and Sensibility, Part 2; some uncut pages
- Vol. 3: Pride and Prejudice Part 1: some weakening/cracking of binding at bottom of volume in middle & second half (photo). Binding is still secure. This and Volume 4 appear to be the most read of the set.
- Vol. 4, Pride & Prejudice, Part 2: front illustration is detached from the binding but present.
- Vol 5: Mansfield Park, Part 1: some uncut pages; a few pages have an approximately 1 centimeter tear that was bent down; resulting in the top appearing wrinkled (see photograph).
- Vol 6; Mansfield Park, Part 2: some uncut pages
- Vol 7: Emma Part 1: some white marking on cover (see photo) and a small tear in cloth at the bottom of the spine (see photo); minor weakening in sections of interior binding
- Vol. 8, Emma, Part 2: no notes
- Vol 9, Northanger Abbey; one illustration loose (still bound in but only by about 20% of page); one page has a tear on side that does not affect the text (see photo); slight weakening to binding
- Vol 10, Persuasion; front illustration is detached from the binding but present; uncut pages; small black mark on edge of front cover
- Vol 11: Lady Susan, The Watsons, Letters of Jane Austen Part 1. pages uncut
- Vol 12: Letters of Jane Austen, Part 2: pages uncut.